Bard info page
This page owes a lot to legendary Callista's bard page (which was basically a copypaste from Melkpak's bard page).
So I decided to keep the tradition up and copypaste it here.
I've added some civilized guesses and gathered thoughts tho. (Yes, I whined for infos.)
Special thanks to Judas, Biron, Buppa, Aune, Linkless, Noose, Kart and Jumpman for their support.
- When planning a bard-reinc keep in mind that you only can join 3 of the subs.
- When leaving the castle a good order to sing your songs is:
- guise angel
- cha, int songs up (remember to tune up your instrument)
- visu audience awareness, tonal control
- drop int, cha and recast 'em one at the time.
- at this point you could drop visus and recast 'em too (still one at the time)... might make a difference? ;)
- cast the rest of the songs and hope the world is ready for your sizzling hot performances.
- A bard gets 100% effect from his own visu, but only 50% if another bard visues.
- You should try to keep tonal control visued, because it boosts the effects of songs, this of course depends on your reinc/other bards in party etc..
- If there's 2 bards in room and you cast same visu as the another, you need to leave room to get 100% effect. After you come back you both get 100% effect on your visu. (often the case with audience awareness and such)
- Cha affects most of bard skills.
- Cha and Int affect on boosts a lot.
- Stat songs can be inflated. You get 'em fast even with try very slow. A good way to save exp/cash in reinc.
- 100% skillmax isn't a must anymore.
- With 234% audience awareness you get an extra song with some instruments (violin, horn, lyre, bagpipes).
- You need 100% audience awareness to get all info from know your audience -spell.
- Every bard spell gives mastery, there might be others that give more/cast, but no exact proofs. Atleast some give mastery more sp-efficiently. Call flock can be casted with fewer pigeons...
- For fire breathing act to work you need to have oil flasks and a torch.
- If fire breathing act ignites the enemy it will be burnt every round for a while and you can cast other spells during the effect.
- Without igniting fire breathing act does about 500 damage to a monster.
- Pigeons count as minions. If you have other minions (familiar or a mule or something) you can have less than 9 pigeons. (9 minions max)
- 8 pigeons call flock does about 650 damage.
- For visualize act to be effective the target's skill/spell has to be atleast 50%. It boosts at lower % too, but there's so little effect.
Titles: There are 40 bard titles and they go like this:
(Congratulations to Judas for maxing bards first.)
- 40. virtuoso
- 39. master of verse
- 38. master of song
- 37. master of melody
- 36. master of notes
- 35. master of words
- 34. talespinner (with max skills and instrument you get 11th song after the final step.)
- 33. maestro
- 32. cantatore
- 31. cornetist
- 30. impresario
- 29. legendary meistersinger (Old final rank.)
- 28. master bard
- 27. master balladeer
- 26. meistersinger
- 25. balladeer
- 24. genus irritabile vatum
- 23. well travelled bard
- 22. sonneteer
- 21. accomplished bard
- 20. learned troubadour
- 19. master skald (With max skills and instrument you get an extra song after first ministep)
- 18. apprentice troubadour (First title on plaque)
- 17. well travelled gallant
- 16. gallant
- 15. learned skald
- 14. apprentice skald
- 13. senior journeyman bard (With max skills and instrument you get an extra song after first ministep)
- 12. journeyman bard
- 11. aspiring journeyman (With max skills and instrument you get an extra song after first ministep)
- 10. laureate
- 9. poet laureate
- 8. romantic poet
- 7. apprentice poet
- 6. senior apprentice
- 5. master apprentice
- 4. skilled apprentice
- 3. learned apprentice
- 2. studious apprentice
- 1. unknown apprentice
- somewhat near
- nowhere near
- extremely close
- very close
- very far
- hopelessly far
Steps and ministeps start acting funny at well travelled bard title.
For example genus irritabile vatum begins straight from somewhat near step.
A cornetist has to advance nowhere near 3 times before it changes and well travelled bard starts at "far"-step.
Instrument mastery (from best to worst):
- Instrument is a legendary instrument, fit for a legendary bard.
- Instrument is absolutely perfect in every curve, shape and sound. (This is the max for Violin and Lyre)
- Instrument would make even the most experience bard swoon with envy.
- Instrument is a masterpiece that fetch an exorbitant price.
- Instrument is just about perfect for a travelling bard.
- Instrument is surely the work of a great craftsman.
- Instrument isn't the best, but it'll do until you find better.
- Instrument is a poor substitute for your usual instruments.
Affinity (from best to worst):
- You have gathered an absolutely perfect understanding of Instrument
- You have near mastery in your craft with Instrument.
- You are able to produce undreamt of melody from Instrument.
- You are quite adept in the use of Instrument.
- You have begun to fundamentally understand Instrument.
- You have developed a small amount of affinity with Instrument.
- You have a basic understanding of Instrument.
- You are starting to develop a feel for Instrument.
- You hold very little affinity with Instrument.
- You are without any affinity for Instrument.
Itune (from best to worst):
- Instrument has been perfectly tuned like a legendary meistersinger would.
- Instrument has been masterfully tuned like a aged and wise troubadour would.
- Instrument has been triumpantly tuned like a learned and skilled bard would.
- Instrument has been proudly tuned like a much accomplished bard would.
- Instrument has been easily tuned like an able bodied journeyman would.
- Instrument has been quickly tuned like a hasty and impatient apprentice would
- Instrument has been shamefully tuned like a foolish novice would.
- Instrument has been ill-tuned like a grubby peasant would.
- Instrument has not yet been tuned up to snuff.
- How to gain affinity quickest: study surgeon's chant and cast it, drop it, cast it etc...
- Glow doesn't affect boosts.
|Instrument ||Additional info
|A masterfully crafted golden horn||Absolutely amazing bonus to bard songs. Probably the most desired instrument in game.
|Demon's Lyre ||Awesome bonus to bard songs and a small bonus to number of songs a bard can sing.
|The Serpent of Grimoan ||A great bonus to bard songs and a small bonus to number of songs a bard can sing. Once the glow fades from this writhing Serpent, she shall sing no more.
|A beautiful wooden violin ||A great bonus to bard songs. It has a +spr-special. (drains sp from monsters to wielder in combat)
|highland bagpipes ||A decent bonus to bard songs and a great bonus to the number of songs a bard can sing. Easy to get.
|a silver flute ||A decent bonus to bard songs and a small bonus to number of songs a bard can sing. Very easy to get.
|Ben's lute ||A nice bonus to bard songs. +spr unnoticably, a decent bonus to tonal control, a great bonus to pitch control. Easy to get.
|A simple wooden harp ||A nice bonus to bard songs. Gettable from guild shop.
|A small brass accordian ||A small bonus to bard songs and a great bonus to the number of songs a bard can sing. Gettable from guild shop.
|A massive wooden cello ||Absolutely amazing bonus to bard songs and a horrendous bonus to number of songs a bard can sing. Gettable from guild shop.
Boost messages (best to worst, theres some even worse but can't get 'em...):
- huge amount
- a lot
- by quite a bit
- by a decent bit
Debuff messages (worst to not-so bad, unsure about these.)
- a huge amount
What do the spells do?
- apollo's adagio = int
- aria of the eagles = dex
- bario's bawdy ballad = cha
- berserker's bravura = str
- symphony of solomon = wis
- vigorous concerto = con
- surgeon's chant = +10 heal
- song of mending = +20 heal
- psalm of healing = +32 heal
- dirge of despair = -str, -con, -hp regen
- impart knowledge = +crit and +language against one race for a short period of time (depends on language knowledge) costs 600-1800, tank only.
- leomund's lament = -dex, -hpmax
- lyrics of sorrow = area heavy weight
- malach's mourning = -wis, -int, -spr
- song of celerity = +extra attacks
- cabalist's saga = see magic
- cantana of shadow = darkness
- chant of fortitude = +ac
- chant of the beast = +extra meleehits
- chorus of serenity = werewolf muzzle (prevents random PVP attacking caused by the old werecurse)
- claris' melody of mana = +spr
- lullaby of life = +hpr
- score of the steadfast = bravery
- sonata of sorcery = +spmax
- tale of perception = see invis
- torchbearer's march = light
- uplifting melody = flight
- visualize act = Usage: cast visualize act at skill/spell. Visu adds % to selected skill/spell for everyone in the room. Bard's own % on selected skill/spell affects the amount of boost. You can also visu skills/spells you don't know. Bard himself gets the full boost and other ppl get about 50% boost.
- The most important bard sub since here are the important skills.
- Enlarge weapon
- Reduce weapon
- Wild goose
- Enlarges, reduces and gooses are a good way of gaining money.
- Wild goose is a good thingie for exp and a must for eq. feather weight and spell% affect it so be sure to visu 'em before casting.
- angel +negotiate, +cha
- flayer +quick chant, +int
- halfling +dex, +sneak
- ogre +attack, +weapon skill 1h dagger (sword?),+ weapon skill 2h dagger, +str
- paladin +wis
- skeleton -magres, +fireres, +physres, +poisonres, +psires, +coldres
- titan +con
- construct roost
- charm pigeon
- acid preference: beaks of acid
- asphyxiation preference: pigeon trick
- poison preference: poisonous pigeons
- With charm pigeon spell you gather your flock. Search pigeons from Zombieworld and charm 'em.
- You don't need to construct a roost where you keep your pigeons, but it surely helps having 'em. It can hold up to 9 pigeons.
- Pigeons are 100% poison preference when you get 'em and with poisonous pigeons. Other prefs arent 100% and you get poison damage every now and then. Even with visu.
- The secret syntax for getting your pigeons to the roost after charming is: roost send pigeon
- When not in roost pigeons steal money from innocent bypassers.
- If a bard's pigeon gets killed (by that penniless bypasser) the bard gets a HURT message and some damage.
- It might be a good idea to construct your roost in your castle room instead of outworld location because it can be destroyed and all the pigeons inside get killed. (HURTS and possible death)
- Pigeons can carry items from ground to roost when told so. But they sometimes drop what they are carrying. So best not to let 'em carry anything too expensive.
- juggling axe
- juggling ball
- juggling dagger
- juggling torch
- Enchant weapon
- A juggling bard can sometimes avoid areaspells.
- Every item has some special when tossed balls stun, torches can light the enemy up etc...
- Enchant weapon is a good way to gain some cash.
- Animus is a nice sidekick for a bard, mastery, cha and int affect how powerful it will be. (I've heard thrikhren bards tsnapping before casting animate weapon for max int, some people swear in the name of the angel guise for wis... Go figure!)
- A casting animus has to be 5hitter, but every 5hitter animus doesnt cast.
- The weapon that you make your animus should be reasonably good if you want it to cast.
- Be sure to visu enchant weapon and enchant the weapon that becomes your animus.
- Visuing animate weapon doesnt affect basically at all.
- This is the eq-sub, here you get debuffs
- Troubadours are useful in eq-campaigns since they have ways to weaken the enemy.
- Debuffs drop when bard moves.
- Leomund's lament, dirge of despair and malach's mourning are good when doing eq, song of celerity in expparties. The rest are more or less useless.
- song of celerity is cheapo (250sp), the rest are between 700 and 900sps to cast.
©Brewgore (brewgore at saunalahti dot fi)