Cosmos 1100, Summer - Autumn 2001

After port hull transport was many project on.

Finishing the shelter gables got some time also.

Setting hulls about their places.

Last winter beat much my light tarpaulin. It was necessary to add extra plastic sheet inside.

Ready for winter at outside. Tarpaulin was a little short, eaves are made of painted medium boards.

The forward beam has same construct than hulls: stripes inside biax glass cloth with epoxy. An arc height 100 mm (upside down on mold). Mold was without proper strongback, and even on loose stands. I never do that again! My own stupidity, setting all in line need more than one day for that :-(

The beam has 450 g biax glass on both sides. 12 mm gaboon plywood inside, also same biax on both side. Epoxy putty both side of joint, 150 mm biax tape with epoxy over joint on both side of plywood.

The beam fixed with strong plywood bulkheads (2 x biax surfaces) on both end.

Material for bulkheads arrived at end of my vacation. Hand made by Corebros Oy, Joutseno. Here are not any stock seller, only bespoke production of composite sheets. Core material is Divinycell pvc foam, weight 80 kg/cubic meter, thickness 25 mm for bulkheads and 12 mm for bridgedeck bottom. Surfaces are 1-2 x 600g biax non woven glass fabric. Every sheets get more layers accordingly by the plan. Sheets are made by vacuum table, size 6,6 x 2,4 m. Weight so much that it was just possible to carry them one at a time by two men few meters from lorry to my yard. It was good luck that driver was sturdy guy. Rest of the distance managed with familiar team, thanks aaaagaiiin...

Main bulkhead and saloon back are made of one piece, other two need some puzzle work. Saloon back frames are also made of pieces.

Shape of bulkheads was taken direct measuring of hull that was support by few temporary molds. Hulls are made at height 1100 mm from CWL, and upper side must draw from the plans to the bulkhead.

I destroyed three wood blades of my jigsaw until I found one blade for metals. Less smoke now ;-).

It is huge! While adjusting bulkheads I noticed (again) how big it really is. Fore bulkhead need few pieces more in the middle.

Fore bulkhead is made of 6 pieces and hindmost bulkhead 2 pieces. Joints are 50 + 50 mm made by a sander and join with 100 biax tape and epoxy. Few batten for adjusting surfaces on level. After stiffen sanding same level. Both side same method. Not much extra pieces left and saloon back need window frames etc. Just enough I think. Splitting plan was made by computer and if was precise. Pictures of general plans was source of the vectored pictures that are made by computer scanner. Hand made pictures that Jeff has drew are praiseworthy exact.

Next extra layers of biax glass fabric. Surface is sanded by a sanding machine. Also that eliminate some surplus epoxy. Left bulkhead made some hurry to me. Medium fast epoxy is not medium while sunshine on. I was almost too slow, but exercise made experts.

Two layers of glass 450 g and sticky epoxy need time to work. No any change to use paint roller like with MAS epoxy, that I used with hulls.

After thinking over I used hand router machine while cutting extra edges of glass fiber. Core material is in ultimate shape already. In spite of all shielding, terrible dust is everywhere and really tickle! Also my router will get into overhaul soon I'm afraid.

Main page