What is Info Viewer?
Info Viewer is a replacement for topfields default infobox. It will display information about the current and next program from EPG. More detailed information about the selected program can be displayed in separate box. Info Viewer is also compatible with Description Extender
Info Viewer will also display information when a stored program is being viewed even if it is being recorded at the same time.
What are the different versions of Info Viewer?
There are 3 different versions of Info Viewer.
- The standard version, that should be used if no problems appear.
- Exit Normal (EN) version¹ - Might work better with MasterPiece versions.
- Description extender PATCH (DE) version - This is intended to be used only when DE PATCH has been installed to the firmware (not with DE TAP).
The default version will display the default topfield pvr information (for example programs being played/recorded) in the upper right corner but those are missing from the EN version:
Keys used in Info Viewer
|info||Open Info Viewer / show additional information / close Info Viewer|
|exit||Close Info Viewer|
|next||Scroll the programs forward (and display additional information about next program)|
|prev||Scroll the programs backward (and display additional information about previous program)|
|back||Show info from previous channel|
|forward||Show info from next channel|
|slow||Terminate the tap completely|
Customizing Info Viewer
In the package there is info_viewer.ini with all possible options and default values. If you want to use it you should copy in to the same directory where Info Viewer is started (for example AutoStart).
There is also alternative color theme (black-gray-white). To use that, copy info_viewer_black.ini to your topfield with the name info_viewer.ini
Using channel logos
Info Viewer supports channel logos in Improbox format. Like in Improbox, the logo heigh must be 30 pixels, but in Info Viewer the logo width can be anything between 1 and 200 pixels.
The logos must be in .ibl format (can be converted from .bmp files for example with iblviewer).
The logos must be placed in \ProgramFiles\ChannelLogos\TV (or Radio) folder. The logos must be in lowercase letters. The logos are searched with the exact name and without any non-alphanumeric letters (even spaces). For example channel YLE TV1 logo must be either yle tv1.ibl or yletv1.ibl.
To get logos working, you must also change CHANNEL_LOGOS -option in the .ini file. What's displayed in each mode:
- 0: Channel number + name (this is the default)
- 1: Channel name
- 2: Logo and channel number + name
- 3: Logo and channel name
- 4: Logo or channel number + name
- 5: Logo or channel name
The main screen "box" can be replaced with skin. Info Viewer checks at the start if info_viewer.ibl exists in the same directory. The file format is the same as in channel logos. This image should be (roughly) the same size as defined in .ini file (INFOBOX_W x INFOBOX_H). There is a sample image in .bmp format in the .zip file. RGB 0,0,0 color (black) is treated as transparent.Example skins are also available at Download skins page..
Bugs / features not yet implemented
- Only limited set of options can be changed via .ini file
- Timeshift mode does not display any useful information
- It is possible to scroll after the last program / before the first program with next/prev keys
- 1.9: Possibility to disable the use of extended info. Some new firmwares have problems with this and it causes crashing. Otherwise there's no need to disable it.
- 1.8: Support for DE patch
- 1.7: Zero key to change screen aspect ratio again. Support for Font Manager. Volume handling can now really be turned off with HANDLE_VOLUME value 0. Volume keys to .ini file (to be used with Remote Extender).
- 1.6: Logos are now checked with the actual name of the channel and also the old way with special characters stripped off. Remote Extender version integrated into the "main" version (you might need to configure _ALL_ keys into info_viewer.ini, sorry). Quick Change tap integrated into Info Viewer to enable channel changing when Info Viewer is open. Can be disabled from .ini file.
- 1.5: Main screen skin (file name info_viewer.ibl), Weekday name displayed in playback mode. Separate colors for description on main screen and timed programs (recording). Can't scroll before first channel or after last channel.
- 1.4: Possibility to view info of other channels too, Recall, pip, volume change for ExitNormal version
- 1.3.1: Fixed some topfield bugs causing freezing in some toppys
- 1.3: Channel logos. Possibility to display LCN (Logical Channel Number) instead of the channel number.
- 1.2: Original channel name displayed in recording, possibility to choose to display recording event info instead of filename, key to terminate the tap, remote extender -support (for TF5800 used in UK)).
- 1.1.1: Duplicate programs now removed based on start & end time.
- 1.1: Possibility to adjust (some) keys. Fixed bug with ExitNormal version and channel change with favourite lists. Black color theme also included.
- 1.0.1: Rewrite of .ini file handling routine due to buggy implementation :).
- 1.0: Volume display (Finally all originally intended features implemented) + small fixes.
- 0.9.3: Remove duplicates from program list
- 0.9.2: Configurations via .ini file (mostly colors & locations)
- 0.9.1: Display the original recording date / time in playback mode
- 0.9: Enabled channel change when Info Viewer active in EN version
1) The EN in the name comes from TAP API function TAP_ExitNormal that should be called when anything is displayed on the screen. Calling ExitNormal will hide for example subtitles and pvr information from the screen.
For more TAPs, visit TAP World.
© Toni Salomäki. Having problems or improvement ideas?